Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ode to a Fruit Pod Event

(adagio)
I hopped into me car, and then I headed down the road,
It wasn't 'til I found the grocery store I even slowed,
I grabbed me up a cart and then I headed on within,
Glanced quickly at me little list and then I did begin:
.
(prestissimo)
There....were.....
Prices on spices and slicing devices
Which I was quite wise to consider;
Pans just for flans, ancient cans full of yams,
From which I just ran (way too bitter!)
Butter for batter, a cutter for cheddar,
But none of that mattered to me,
What I need to fix it: a tube full of biscuit!
And filling, how hard can that be!
.
.
(adagio)
I got me kitchen all prepared, with flour and aprons and such,
Me podmaker was by me side, quite near enough to touch,
Me biscuit can I took in hand, and through the air it swung.
And when it stopped, me can had popped, and through it, biscuit sprung
.
(prestissimo)
Soon....the....
Biscuits were drying and flour was flying,
It all was quite trying for me;
My goal was controlling the rolling pin's rolling
For holistic consistency;
The filler I'm eying, and soon am applying,
For baking, not frying, it's true;
And now they're completed, the oven is heated,
There's not much but eatin' to do....
.
.
(adagio)
And now I press me eye against the oven's roastin' glass
And takes a gander in to see if good has come to pass
The egg-washed tops of fruity pods seem very interestin',
And soon, I hopes, them pods'll cuddle with me small intestine....
.
(prestissimo)
Now.....they're....
Out of the heat and look ready to eat,
What a treat! Boy I hardly can wait!
All glossy and round and so perfectly browned,
I'm down with their finalized state,
While cooling and gelling, the air that I'm smelling
Is telling me tales of my youth,
Now I grab one with pride....now my mouth opens wide....
It's inside! Now the moment of truth...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

(adagio)
Sometimes you get to hear the happy sound of sweet surprise
A noise folks make when something good has opened up their eyes,
When pleasure forces from their lips, a sound they must emit...
But you won't hear that sound from me; me fruit pods taste like shit.

No comments: