Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Attend the Tale...

And I did, last night. Hard to tell from this dim photo, but this is the preset of the Barrington Stage Company's production of 'Sweeney Todd.' Very well done. The chorus voices were superb; the lady who played Mrs. Lovett could not really sing at all, but I have never seen anyone compensate for a lack so beautifully.  I ended up forgetting she couldn't sing, which is amazing since I'm usually a real jerk about that kind of thing.  She was hilarious --got laughs out of the material that I didn't even know were there, and I've know this show pretty well-- easy to see why she won a Tony for Best Supporting in 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' a couple of years back. 

Didn't care so much for the Sweeney, but I think I'm biased and can give no report not snottily invested with my own insufferable preferences.  Bari swooned over him.  I think having him be a swoonable sort was sort of the problem.  I don't think GQ or James Bond when I think Sweeney.  He looked kinda like Craig Ferguson. With much of that same energy.  And haircut. Ah, but I am cranky and set in my ways...

No comments: